Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Scissor holder

I had an old wood coat rack that I had no use for (as I already had one), so I decided to re-vamp it into a holder for my design craft scissors. It would be going into my room and so I wanted it to match the theme in my bedroom. Here are the steps I took. You can modify them based on the design you want.

Supplies:
wooden coat rack
stencil
paint for stencil and for remaining surface
sandpaper
clean cloth
paint tarp (to protect work surface)
paint brush
stencil brush
stencil adhesive (or other kind of adhesive)


I lightly sand the surface to clean and smooth the wood, because it was not painted at all. If painted sand thoroughly to remove paint. This may take several hours. Then I wiped down with a clean cloth to remove any dust.
Since I wanted to create an age look I chose to do the stenciling first. I sprayed the adhesive to my stencil to keep it in place. Then I positioned the stencil on my coat rack. I painted using a stencil brush in desired stencil frame. (best if done in repeative straigh down dabs) My stencil was a fur-de-lei. I let the paint dry for a few minutes before removing the stencil and repositioning again, as I wanted multiple stencils. Once I had finished all my stencils I let it sit for about 30 minutes to make sure the paint was fully dry. (see paint directions for specific time frames) This is what my project looked like at this point.


Since I wanted a more aged look I painted a fine coat of light gold metallic paint over the entire coat rack.

Once I had finished my one and only coat (again I wanted a real fine coat of paint) I let it sit for about an hour this time as more paint was used. After it had finished drying I took my sandpaper and started to rub the paint off in random locations, like the corners and along the knobs. This gave it a more worn and aged look. Once I had sanded it to my content I wiped it down again with my cloth.

Here is my finished project:


It comes in very handy. I have it positioned right above my desk and its holding about 11 scissors right now, with room for a few more.

Easy way to take an item that is not being used into something useful again. Much better than just giving it away to the A.R.C. store, which is what I was going to do with it at first.

K

No comments:

Post a Comment