Sunday, October 28, 2012

Organize with Style

I have already made a collage paper magazine holder.



 I also have 4 other tan holders. I need yet another one, so I thought I would make another paper one to even it out.
This time I wanted to do a solid design instead of a collage effect. I found scrapbook paper at Hobby Lobby that was the perfect theme for my bedroom and the color fit. I bought 3 pieces of the paper and that was more than enough. One sheet per side and another for the back and front sections. I picked up a bottle of Mod Podge paper so that it be more specific.



I also used my roller that I used in my coaster project to keep bubbles from forming. (You can also spray water on the paper before applying it to keep that from happening, just don't soak it with water or its very easy to tear.) Take the magazine holder and lay it down on the back of the paper so you can trace out the side.



Cut along the trace lines. Once its cut out put it back against the side to be sure it doesn't over lap any were. If you are happy with the cut out put a coat of Mod Podge on the side of the magazine holder and carefully place the paper as to not realign it again.  Use the roller (or whatever tool you have) to flat the paper out and remove any air bubbles you might have. Wait for the first applique to dry (15 minutes) before applying another coat over the paper. You will want to coat it at least 3 times, always letting it dry completely  before doing another coat.



Trace the back the same way you did the side whenever you are ready to move on. Apply the paper the same way, waiting for the Mod Podge to dry before applying another coat over the paper.


Repeat the same steps for the other side of the magazine holder. Once you are ready to do the front you the paper left over from doing the back. You will have to cut put two long strips for the right and left side of the description plate. Be sure to follow the pattern of the paper and how you have it placed on the other sides. Then cut out two sections for the top and bottom section around the description plate. Make sure to measure the spaces so that you don't have gaps around the description plate.

Once you have it coated to your satisfaction you can use the Mod Podge acrylic sealer to put that finished touch to your project. It protects your paper better than just leaving it alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment