Wednesday, May 8, 2013
Ribbon Weave Necklace
Supplies: *Big link chain (I picked dark silver)
*Medium link chain (matches big link chain)
*Length of ribbon (about a foot)
*Ribbon clamps (2)
*Lobster Claw Clasp
*2 large jump rings (to match chain)
*2 medium jump rings (to match chain)
*needle nose pliers
*Flat nose pliers
*Tip 1- Plan It Out* As with all jewelry designs I laid out the design on my bead board before I started doing anything. Had to try out different style gem stones to see which one matched best, as I did not buy any of the beads at the same time. This also includes making sure the clasp and clamp beads match the color pallet. Practice weaving the ribbon in the length of chain to determine the amount needed.
*Tip 2- Measure* Always measure for each project to make sure the lengths that fit best are correct. This is important when making items for other people. Once you have done them enough times you will know the required lengths and can skip this step.
*Tip 3 - Consider Material and Purpose* You must always be aware of the type of give and strength your supplies have or you could end up with breaks, scrapping, and no flexibility. Use large items if you think the smaller version will not allow for flexibility. (i.e. large jump rings over small/medium ones)
-Measure out the length of chain you will need to fit around your neck. (see *Tip 2* ) Use the needle nose pliers to open a link to shorten the chain to your length needed.
-Take a pair of needle nose pliers and open a jump ring. Slide the jump ring onto the end of the clasp, then on one end of the chain length you just made, close the jump ring.
- Take a pair of needle nose pliers and open another jump ring. Slide the jump ring onto the end of the other length of chain. Then close the jump ring.
- Create a length of large link chain that you can weave the ribbon inside.
- Take a ribbon clamp and clamp one end of the ribbon. Use the flat nose pliers.
-Take the other end of the ribbon and weave the ribbon in-between the links of the large link chain.
- Take the end that you just finished weaving and clamp it with the remaining ribbon clamp. Use the flat nose pliers.
- Use the needle nose pliers to open a medium jump ring and attach one end of the medium chain. Then slide on the ribbon clamp on and then one end of the large link chain.
- Use the needle nose pliers to open a medium jump ring and attach the other end of the medium chain. Then slide on the other ribbon clamp and finally the other end of the large link chain.
-Pick a side that you would like to tie the bow.
- Tie the know around the chain, not threw it. Then create the bow.
-At this point everything should be connected and you have a finished necklace.