Monday, May 21, 2012

Blankets Warm Your Heart

My co-worker is having a little boy in August of this year. Several of us from work are throwing a baby shower for her on May 27th (this coming Sunday). I have been collecting clothes from the ARC stores, so much so that I have two large bags full to the top with clothes. I have outfits for several different periods of time, 0-3 months, 3-6 months, 6-9 months, 12 months, 18th month and even one for 24 months. I have another bag full of blankets, baby medicine, diaper rash cream, and several other things. There is yet another box full of books, ranging from super easy to more detail and classic.

Once I found out she was pregnant and what she was having I started a baby blanket. She told me the colors of they want are blue, green, and light brown. I found the perfect yarn for just those colors.


I started it about a month and a half ago. Very easy pattern too.



You cast on 3 stitches and then every time after that you increase by one stitch, which you do as a yarn over as the second stitch. You keep increasing until you feel its wide enough. I used 10 1/2 inch needles with this project because the Homespun yarn is rather chunky and it would show the pattern better with bigger needles. I used stick needles until it got too wide and then I switched to circular needles. I continued to increase the stitches for several more inches.


Once you feel that the blanket is wide enough you can start decreasing. You decrease by stitching the first two stitches together, then do the yard over like when you were increasing, and then stitch two more stitches together. Took me about a month of actually working on the blanket to finish it. Its square, but it can be used to wrap the baby up diagonal. It does fold up nicely though.


The nice by-product of using the ombre Homespun yarn is that it creates stripes. Its just a random extra bonus.



Turned out pretty nice though. I do good work. Don't you think? =)

No comments:

Post a Comment